Monday, September 19, 2005

BPM and the Gartner Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2005

Here's an excellent piece on the Gartner Hype Cycle. Note the position of BPM - right on top of the Hype Cycle - "the peak of inflated expectations".

As for me, I don't agree with the inflated expectations part. I think that BPM is certainly high on the hype cycle - but it is actually more like being on the "Slope of Enlightment". That is because its earlier avatars of Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Workflow have already gone through this cycle. I see 5 years of strong growth before this technology begins to plateau.

You can download Gartner's presentation and listen to their webcast at http://www.gartner.com/teleconferences/asset_129930_75.jsp

Sanjay Kalra
Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies - 2005 | Daniel Neamu Weblog
Hype Cycle for Emerging Technologies, 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The BPR uses within business is incredibly varied. I am finding it is similar to the way things like CRM and Data Mining have been pushed in the commercial world.

I am finding that there is a lack of understanding of what is possible but the need is driven by the fact the rest of the world is talking about it.

I'm not sure if it is a new wave or if we will see it repackaged with a new buzz word name. It has worked with so many other technologies why not again.